Monday, May 02, 2005

Last Minute....

So I am sitting here (resting, of course) thinking about this upcoming week and all the things I have to do for work and other things, and I remembered my next doctor's visit is this Wednesday. Then I remembered, I haven't posted about the last visit! Crap! This is going to be harder than I thought......

Ok, so down to the specifics. I guess the highlight of my last visit was hearing the baby's heartbeat (via doppler) for the first time. It sounds different than a heartbeat through a stethoscope. It makes more of swooshing sound. Hearing the heartbeat makes the pregnancy feel more real. The baby's heartbeat was around 160 beats/min. Now for those of you who believe in old-wives tales, you would think that I am having a girl. But that is just a myth....you never know! (There are some crazy beliefs out there, trust me.) Some say it's just maternal instinct as to what one believes they will be having. As for me, I don't think I have any gut feelings on the situation. Maybe that's just to prevent false hope. I did have a dream the other night that I was having a girl and that we named her Natalie.....who knows. I don't really remember if I had dreams like that while pregnant with Jordan.

At the visit I had my normal "weigh-in" and learned that I had actually lost 5 pounds. After the first trimester I experienced, it was no wonder I didn't gain any weight. I didn't know what to think about the loss, I mean let's face it 5 pounds (to a woman anyhow) is a notable difference! The doctor says it's not really a big deal as long as I don't loose any more. I have a slight feeling that that's not going to be an issue this time around! haha

Everything else was normal and overall it was a rather quick visit. One other thing I would like to write about is how I perceived other moms or moms-to-be while waiting for my appointment. It's funny how women can be so conversational in situations that sort of "force" you to acknowledge other people. Especially when they are pregnant or kids are present. This one lady arrived with her (I presume) children and automatically another woman thought it was just second nature to just chat with the woman already waiting. Then, an expecting mom observes the children playing and they all start sharing information with one another. (How old is he? When are you due? Do you know what you are having? blah, blah, blah.) I listened in to their conversation for a minute or two, then after like the 4th question I got bored. It's like I had no interest at all about the small-talk of the children. I don't see anything wrong with my reaction I just find it weird more than anything. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am on baby #2 and it's not as "thrilling" as the first experience. I guess I just don't feel motherly-like this time around. I felt the same way when one of my co-workers brought in his newborn son. Don't get me wrong, the kid was cute, but it was like I ran out of things to say/ask and I was just staring at the baby and didn't know how to leave the conversation. (Maybe I am turning into the non-conversationalist like my husband.......which is not a bad thing!!)

Anyhow, my next visit is this Wednesday, I am pretty excited about it. We get to schedule an ultrasound in about 2 weeks and hopefully we will be able to test out the old-wives tale. ;)

PS - emotionally speaking....this past month was like a gazillion times better than the last. Oh, and the energy level has come back to almost normal. Whew, thank goodness!

1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definitely good to know there are other people out there that feel the same why about the chitter chatter that people find themselves ordained to participate into. Just a couple of months ago I was sitting in the lobby at the Giles County Courthouse waiting to pay for my so-called-speeding-ticket-at-69mph-up-a-80 degree-inclined-mountain!!! And there was like 12 people all standing around…yeah it was quite for like 3 minutes then the chitter chatter began…first it was just a couple of people then it was like everyone had to get in on it….A-NOYYING!! It started getting louder and the questions started getting side tracked to things that didn’t even relate their current situation…like it went from, “What are you here for?” to “Who did you have sex with last night?” I’m not one to join in on chitter chatter so I just sat there listening and occasionally looking up which was my big mistake because that’s when they make eye contact with you trying to lure you into their web of crazy bewildered questions. But I was able to play it off like I was looking at the bulletin board behind them..I actually got up and walked behind them to grab a pamphlet about “How to Have Safe Sex”…yeah I was definitely trying play if off cause I don’t even have sex so why the hell would I need to read something about having safe sex, but I took it and do you know that I ended up reading every page of the stupid brochure just to avoid conversation!!!....well hey at least when I do have sex I’ll be prepared ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home