Thursday, May 31, 2007

Slow May

It’s been a slow month for blogging. My sincerest apologies to the 5 readers of this blog. I know you have been eagerly waiting to hear more about what’s going on in my life.

So where to begin?

I suppose that since I love to gloat about my accomplishments, I will start with an update on my 2007 training and competitions.

On April 15th, I competed in my first triathlon of 2007. It was the Angel’s Race in Lynchburg. The weather was horrible, to say the least. Basically, freezing cold and torrential downpours. I practically made up my mind that it would be ok if I just finished the race. As most of my close friends know, that’s not really how I end up doing races.

I am still not great at the swim, it’s definitely the discipline that needs the most work. The bike went well, until I got to Mt. Everest. This hill was conveniently located towards the end of the bike ride, just about the part where you think you are going to die. I kept pedaling, in my easiest gear, until I thought I was going to have to stop and walk my bike up. I even tried to un-clip, but my leg was too weak to get my foot out. I had a couple of choices: stay on the bike and pedal, fall over and wait for the paramedics, or just go down the hill backwards. I chose to stay on my bike and pedal. It was a good choice.

Next up, the run. It was relatively easy going out, but coming back in was a different story. The same incline at the end of the bike was again present at the end of the run. So Grandma Jones on the sidewalk was pacing along with her walker faster than I was able to run up the hill. It was a very technical race. Nothing like my previous two races.

After I finished, my coach and I were reviewing the results and realized that there was the possibility of me placing in my age group. We had to wait for all the athletes to finish before it was official. And that’s all she wrote. One of my personal goals of the year was to finish in the top 3 of one of my scheduled triathlons, and I hit the mark on my first one.

That is definitely one of the many highlights of my athletic career.

I will post a couple of pictures soon. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home