Thursday, May 31, 2007

Catch 22

Just like last April, a bunch of us traveled down to Nashville to run the Country Music ½ Marathon. And just like last year, it was a blast.

This year my Dad joined us for the fun. He actually had to overcome a couple of obstacles during his training, including knee surgery within 4 months of the run. I think my Dad and I have a lot in common when it comes to physical and mental challenges. I wanted him to be able to finish the race without stopping to walk. I had it in my mind that it was at least probable. I kept convincing him that it was do-able. I think I actually brain-washed him a little and told him that it doesn’t really ‘feel’ like 13.1 miles. Haha.

Right before we started I told him (more brain-washing) that we could do it in 2.5 hours. He just laughed at me. He was like, ‘the last time I ran 10 miles it took me 2.75 hours, and you want me to run 13.1 in less than that, you are crazy!’. But with the help of Marisa, we were able to pace him through the entire race and finish it in 2 hours and 27 minutes. We had 3 minutes to spare! The look on my Dad’s face, as he finished what he thought was the impossible, was priceless. I am so proud of him and his ability to fight the odds of his injuries. Oh yea, this was his first, and probably last long run. The doctor says that his knees are not going to hold up to the impact of running.

But that’s only the first part of the Catch 22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home