Sunday, February 26, 2006

Road Bloggin'

This is the first opportunity that I have had to blog in a while and I happen to be in a car with 3 collegiate ADPi’s. We had District Leadership Conference this weekend in Columbia, Maryland. I don’t think I was really looking forward to it at first. Maybe it was because of the 5-mile run that I did Friday morning. But my feelings now about attending are one of gratitude. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to join these 12 ladies. The conference itself was, um, *ok*. I can’t really get into specifics, but the learning aspect of the conference wasn’t that great. On the other hand, I was able to get to know and actually bond with 12 new ladies. These ladies are AMAZING.

I joined Alpha Delta Pi in the spring of 1997. I was a sophomore at Virginia Tech. Since I am from around the area (Kevin and I both graduated from Giles High School in Pearsiburg), I knew a couple of the girls going through recruitment with me. There were four of us. As the week of Invites progressed, I saw something in ADPi that I wanted to be a part of. The last night of invites, called “Pref Night”, I knew that this is where I wanted to be. The sisterhood was just too good to be true. I remember going home and telling Kevin how strong my feelings were for this sorority. Like the strong feelings when you want something so bad. The next day was Bid Day, or the invitations to be in a sorority. At the time, I was working p/t at Kmart, in the pharmacy. Bids were to be distributed by like 2pm or something. Well, it was going on 4pm and I had not received a bid from either one of my choices I submitted the previous night. I was getting quite discouraged. Finally, I saw my Rho Chi (as they were called back then). As she rounded the corner she pulled out 2 balloons from behind her back…..one white and one powder blue. Instantly I knew that those were the colors of my #1 selection, Alpha Delta Pi. I was so overwhelmed I could barely read the invite. All I knew was that I had to be back on campus and accept my bid by 5pm….and it was 4:30. Anyhow, it was definitely one of those moments where complete happiness and success was felt throughout my entire body.

So these amazing ladies that I was able to get know this weekend….completely wonderful!! They exemplify the true ideals of our sisterhood through attributes like leadership, scholarship and community service. These ladies were newly elected officers of the sorority, and to hear their words of excitement about their position was just inspiring. They treat their positions as if they were part-time jobs. And with the amount of hours that they put into the sorority, it really is like a part-time job! I think it’s amazing to see how a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds can run an organized society such as ours, especially one with so many rules and regulations as overseen by international officers. These efforts were recognized this weekend by the numerous awards we received. Way to go ladies!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home