Friday, August 12, 2005

The Big "C", or Not?

Ok, having a child is a beautiful thing no matter what.....having a girl, easy-peasy.....but having a boy......YIKES!! And no, I am not talking about the actual physical implications of "having a baby". I am talking about the things you have to consider after birth if the child is boy. For some reason, I think I feel scared or I worry over raising a boy. It just seems like there is so much involved. I am sure it just seems that way because I am used to raising a girl. :)

Anyhow, the other day I was having a conversation with my mom (who happens to be a RN in the maternity ward at the hospital I will go to) and somehow we got on the topic of circumcisions. It was at that moment that I realized that Kevin & I will have to make this decision for our little Andrew in less than 8 weeks. I believe we already have the answer as to which way we will go. Listening to my mom describe the different techniques and instruments involved I started to wonder which way is the "right" way to go.

I suppose one of my concerns is, what is "normal"? I don't think you can actually use that word because normal is obviously different where ever you go. I about died when I learned in some cultures that it was normal to do a circumcision at like 8 years of age or even later! Isn't that torture?? I asked my mom about what percentage of boys that are delivered at her hospital are circumcised and she said about 90%. So it would seem that the "normal" here in southwest Virginia is to have your boy circumcised.

The irony of the whole thing is that according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there are some medical benefits to circumcision but they are not sufficient enough for the academy to recommend the procedure. I find this interesting because why did it all start then? Someone just decide to do it? I suppose there is some kind of logical, some religious, reasoning behind it all. As my doctor put it yesterday when I went for my 32 week check-up, "circumcision is a cosmetic procedure". Wow, a cosmetic procedure.....I thought cosmetic procedures referred to botox injections or breast augmentation.

Anyhow, after reading a ton of articles, I have realized that this procedure is very controversial. Something I have never really given second thoughts to. I guess that is why I don't really have any strong opinions about either option. It's just crazy to think that we have to make this decision for our child.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. No questions asked!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cut him

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The benefits overwhelm the risks clearly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home